Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Self-Assessment and Strategies for Change

The assessment process is a challenge. The concepts are easier than the corresponding actions one must make toward long-lasting change. Regardless of the difficulty required to take an honest look at self, and identify areas in need of repair or enhancement, the practice is crucial and beneficial to the journey toward integral healing.

Self-Discovery

The exercise revealed that it's time for me to focus on two areas in my life: Psycho-spiritual (emotional) and Biological (self-regulation). If we're honest, many of us will have to admit that our emotions and lack of self-regulation are at the root of the majority of our imbalance. Whether it's being overly sensitive about a comment someone has made that hurt your feelings or a rash decision we made as a result of emotionalism, that we now regret...or maybe we need to not take a call, turn the TV or computer off and be still regularly: Emotionalism and poor self-regulation will sabotage us every time if we let them.

More on Areas of Development


I will continue to journal my feelings, hopefully more consistently now that I'm aware of a need to document my feelings, emotions, and behaviors, as they relate to corresponding events and triggers in my life. I will also cut myself some slack, something I rarely do, and submit to the process of practicing the witnessing mind daily.

Exercises to Implement Change

As I much as I hate to say it, I may have to become a list-maker to keep track of all I need to do. I know I need to do this but hate the idea of it and so...we'll see. Otherwise, I will continue my newly adopted meditative practices, loving-kindness and subtle mind, to get to the next level of integral healing.

6 comments:

  1. Your post always inspire me! I think you do have a grasp on what you need to do to better your life. I wish I could examine myself the way you do. I think I am not objective enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will admit that I am quite the list maker myself. I think it is just find that you put something, even practicing loving-kindness on a list. This is part of adopting a new behavior. As you said, you eventually will stop putting it on your list as you mature in this area of your life. I hope that I can adopt these practices into my life!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. List are not so bad, I am a list-maker when I started back to school, which allows me to visualize what I need to accomplish. I have also added meditation to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary:

    I'm glad to hear that the posts are a source of inspiration. I find it relaxing, and a very reflective process, when I compose each post; the blog is an amazing living journal and I think it's a great tool. Also, I love the ability to add related videos and other media to focus on a topic; I love the blog most when people comment and we can have a group discussion on a topic and interact.

    When you analyze yourself, maybe you should pretend you're analyzing your best friend. Advise yourself with the loving-kindness, honesty, and care you would your best friend and see if that helps. As I give you this advice I give it to myself. I am always my harshest critic, but I think this course is really helping me along my path to wellness, and has already provided several mental tools I can use to better myself.

    Thanks for your post.

    I will make my way over to your page shortly, along with the pages of everyone who has posted to Serene Scene this week, and will leave a note to keep the conversation and the love going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica:

    My mom is an avid list-maker and has been coaxing me to convert for years. I know it's a great way to organize thoughts and prioritize tasks. I will make a list today and change my perspective to, "Wow, look at all I got done today", even if it's not everything on the list, instead of "Goodness, I'll never finish all these tasks".

    Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.

    I hope your efforts to adopt new behaviors from this class are successful and I look forward to hearing about your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth:

    Meditation and visualization are both new additions to my life and will be on my list as well, they're my "me time" activities.

    Thanks for stopping by to comment.

    ReplyDelete